Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holy Encounters of the Best Kind

Holy Encounters of the Best Kind:  Sacred Moments for 2011
 I thought I would take this pre-2011 moment of opportunity to share something that God has challenged me with the last while.
Duane Elmer, in his excellent book, Cross-cultural Servanthood, makes a very profound statement. It kind of goes like this:  Every time we encounter someone, anywhere, we have a choice whether to make that moment a Sacred one or a profane one. Recognizing that every person on this earth was made in the Image of God, how I respond to or treat each person I meet will make a Sacred moment (I accept and value them as my equal, as God’s creation, as someone special in God’s eyes) or a profane moment (I view that person with suspicion or think of them as unworthy of my time, money or energy…and thus accuse God of making a mistake.)
Think of this, Sacred or Profane, the next time you run into a foreigner, the next time you get irritated with your co-worker, the next time you see someone who is different from you.  You and I have a choice: to value people who are different from us, and thus reflect God’s glory (Sacred moment) or to de-value them and thus, (in a blunt way of putting it) curse God (profane moment).

I confess, sometimes I find this very difficult; some people can be very difficult to love, and I tend to be impatient and proud. I know I will fail many times, but I believe God is at work in me, wanting me to make each moment a sacred one.
Will you join me in seeking to make each encounter this next year a sacred moment ?
Together we can make this world a bit better place… more reflective of His glory,  more full of His grace, as we accept and value those around us.
Have a very Sacred 2011!
In His Strong Arms,

No comments: